Wednesday, August 1, 2012

“With me, it’s all or nuthin’…”

Sometimes writing is just torture.  I sit at the computer and watch the cursor blink, type a few words to ensure that my hands still work, then put my finger on the delete button and erase what I’ve just put on the screen.

How can a person go from needing verbal Immodium to having a clogged mind?

What you are reading here is an attempt to belch something out in the hopes that it will clean out the brain drain, so to speak. I’m hoping that writing out my frustrations about writing (sorry for the same word twice in a sentence) will help me return to it sooner rather than later.

One reason I became a writer was I found pleasure in creating something out of nothing. The reason I became an editor was because I never could make any money writing. And my self-editor has taught my inner writer not to publish anything until it’s done.

Remember this: The editor always wins.

Although I have little to no interest in science, I wish I knew how my brain worked, so that I could figure out how to be productive on a more consistent basis. I wish I knew why ideas and fragments of pieces rattle around in my brain. I wish I knew how to get them from mind to paper.

And that’s part of the conundrum. I do know how, except when I don’t. But I can still try, and hope the words come.

No comments:

Post a Comment